In December 2012, ¡HACER! hosted a town hall kick-off event: “Let’s Talk About College” to help 11th and 12th grade students and their parents learn more about the support systems in place to help them become college ready. More than 250 high school juniors, seniors and parents attended this free event. Panelists included Rep. Erik Fresen, and representatives from FIU; Single Stop USA; ASPIRA of Florida; and Miami Dade County Public Schools.
Following the kick-off event, ¡HACER! worked on a broad program including college tours, test preparation workshops, financial aid assistance and other college readiness resources for students. For example, in Spring of 2013, Miami Dade College’s financial aid and registration counselors, in collaboration with ¡HACER! and The Education Fund helped high school students and their parents complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at six high schools. Close to 400 FAFSAs were completed.
During the summer of 2013, in collaboration with MDC, ¡HACER! helped recent high school graduates increase their scores on the Postsecondary Education Readiness Test (PERT) by offering test preparation classes in mathematics, reading and writing.
Over the life of the grant, ¡HACER! continuously develops and implements programs that (a) increase the number of Latino students who graduate from high school prepared for college-level studies, and (b) ensures postsecondary enrollment, retention and completion of degrees that lead to meaningful employment.
Some highlights from ¡HACER!’s endeavors
More than 100 events and activities were scheduled for the 2012-2013 academic year, resulting in the following outcomes:
- College readiness resources and services provided to 4,500 students.
- 1,154 students and 250 parents trained on the financial aid process over the course of 12 workshop sessions.
- More than 20 FAFSA/Registration workshops delivered and over 800 students assisted with the completion and submission of FAFSA applications and MDC admissions applications;
- Delivered 51 SAT/ACT preparation workshops to over 2,000 high school seniors to help them prepare for and improve their SAT and/or ACT test score for college enrollment.
- Over 65 parent and student workshops on college readiness and transition were implemented.
- Hosted 10 Florida-based college tours for over 1,100 students to acclimate them with the college environment.
- Held a community-wide town hall event for over 500 people to unveil the purpose and goals of the ¡HACER! project.